Monday, February 1, 2010

Creative Acts - Part 3

This week was a tough one for me. I had my act, but I struggled as to wether or not it could be considered creative. The problem being that on the surface, my act did not appear to create anything.

I'll explain further. I have been thinking for a very long time that I would like to just up and go one of these days. Spend some time in the wild, then come back. No preparation, no planning. Just grab a fistful of whatever I could carry with me and forage my way forward.

I grabbed a tent, along with a little bit of food. Just enough to sustain myself overnight (I did not have a lot of time to do this). I jumped on my bike, and headed along what the map on my wall called the Trans Canada highway. Pick a direction and go, see?

I found a suitable place to lock up my bike, and continued on foot untill the brush on the side of the highway looked suitably wild. Once it did, I foraged my way in.

I admit I got a bit lost, but that ended once I ran into what I beleive was Thetis Lake. I stayed out overnight, looking at the sky, disapointed that it was mostly overcast. There was a lot of wind. But I was at peace (I'm not cut out for a city, really.).



I decided to use this as my creative act for one reason over all. In the many readings we have read, one thought stuck out in my mind, and that was that creativity is "Being aware of your inner and outer worlds". I took from that that creativity is not what you feel comfortable with. Staying comfortable limits creativity extremely, or at least that is the impression that I got.

Therefore I decided that using my trip into the forest as a creative act was acceptable. I had been thinking of that for weeks, but I had always been too damn uncomfortable with the thought. The potential problems were quite staggering.

But I faced that. And through that I beleive I created something, though I do not know the specifics. I faced something that made me uncomfortable. I tried something new. Perhaps this was a birth of a new capability in myself. The birth and/or exploration of wanderlust.


The social and politcal ramnifications of this were slim to none. My audience, none but myself. This was something I had been wanting to explore for a very long time. A very personal journey, no? I am blogging about it, but all the same. Personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment